Legal Cases & Acts
- Offences Against the Person Act 1861
Law relating to crime of assault (battery is a crime under common law)
- Public Health (Control of Diseases) Act 1984
Mental Health Act 1983/2007
Law relating to circumstances where a person can be treated without their consent (for serious mental health problems or transmissible diseases that are a public health risk)
- Sidaway vs Bethlem Royal Hospital Governors 1985
Bolam vs Friern Barnet Management Committee 1957
Law relating to duty to properly inform about a treatment, and how to establish whether this duty was properly fulfilled
- Mental Capacity Act 2005
Law relating to how to decide whether a patient lacks capacity and how decisions are made if they do
- Family Law Reform Act 1969
Gillick vs West Norfolk and Wisbech AHA and the DHSS (1985)
Law relating to when children (aged 16/17 and under 16 respectively) have the right to give consent themselves
- Beauchamp and Childress. 1979 The Principles of biomedical ethics.
- Sidaway v. Bethlem Royal Hospital (1984) All Engl Law Rep. Feb 23; 1:1018-36.
- Gillick v West Norfolk and Wisbech Area Health Authority. 19884 All Engl Law Rep. 1984 Nov 19-Dec 20 (date of decision);1985(1):533-59.
- General Medical Council (UK). Ethical guidance: Confidentiality. October 2009.
- Beauchamp TL, Childress JF. Principles of biomedical ethics, 5th edn. Oxford: Oxford University Press 2001.
- W v. Egdell. All Eng Law Rep. 1989 Nov 9; 1:835-53.
- Her Majesty's Stationery Office (UK). The Data Protection Act (1998). 1998
- General Medical Council (UK). Confidentiality: Protecting and Providing Information. September 2000 .